You're on the couch.
You're at base camp.
You're on the summit.
No matter where you are,
we can help you improve
your mountain game.
Everyone enjoying and protecting the mountains.
The Mazamas promotes climbing, responsible recreation, and conservation values through outdoor education, advocacy, and outreach.
We believe safety is our primary responsibility in all education and outdoor activities. Training, risk management, and incident reporting are critical supporting elements.
We believe training, experience and skills development are fundamental to preparedness, enjoyment and safety in the mountains. Studying, seeking and sharing knowledge leads to an increased understanding of mountain environments.
We believe volunteers are the driving force in everything we do. Teamwork, collaboration, and generosity of spirit are the essence of who we are.
We believe camaraderie, friendship and fun are integral to everything we do. We welcome the participation of all people and collaborate with those who share our goals.
We believe all leaders, committee members, staff, volunteers and participants should possess the knowledge, skills, abilities and judgment required of their roles.
We believe we are trusted by the community in mountaineering matters. We are relied upon for information based on best practices and experience.
We believe in conserving the mountain environment. We protect our history and archives and sustain a healthy organization.
We believe in the inherent value of our fellow Mazamas, of our volunteers, and of members of the community. An open, trusting and inclusive environment is essential to promoting our mission and values.
The Mazamas are embarking on a new vision for our future. It’s BIG. It’s BOLD. It’s Mazamas2020.Mazamas2020 OverviewPDF Document | 46.7 KB
The world of outdoor recreation is rapidly changing. There are more people getting outdoors. There are increased threats to our wild places. And there are barriers for many of our youth to take advantage of outdoor recreation opportunities. The Mazamas is uniquely poised to take on these challenges and make a lasting difference for our community.
Throughout 2017 the Mazamas leadership team surveyed our membership, the community, and hosted listening sessions with key volunteers within our organization. Mazamas2020 is the result of that work.
Mazamas2020 focuses on five core initiatives: Education, Activities & Events, Stewardship & Advocacy, Youth & Community Outreach, and Culture & Information. Each of these five core initiatives consist of a goal statement and strategies to support that goal.
Improve & Expand
- Increase quality and consistency.
- Create more accessible and more nimble programs.
- Work with partners to create national volunteer training standards for climbing education.
Activities & Events
Expand Activity Programs
- Support traditional activity programs to increase opportunities.
- Update programs to be more inclusive.
- Pilot new activity programs.
Stewardship & Advocacy
Protect the Places We Love
- Be involved at the local and national level on outdoor recreation and access issues.
- Maintain our trails with our local partners.
- Support & advocate for our public lands.
Youth & Community Outreach
Inspire the Next Generation
- Expand outdoor school programming.
- Develop inclusive youth, community, and business outreach programs.
- Pilot programs to reach under-resourced communities.
Culture & Information
Promote & Protect Mountain Culture
- Share Mazama stories and historical items.
- Promote Pacific Northwest mountain culture.
- Utilize our new website and database to enhance Mazama programs and effectiveness.